Classic cars and vintage automobiles resources:
How well do you know your classic car history?
The AFA was a Spanish automobile manufactured between 1943 and 1944. Little is known about the marque other than the fact that a few 5cv cabriolets were built in Barcelona.
AMC Borgward Isabella
The AMC Borgward Isabella was a short-lived Mexican automobile manufactured for one year only, 1979. The sedan was so named because it featured a Mexican Borgward engine and AMC coachwork.
The AMX was an Italian Bizzarini-designed automobile manufactured by the former Bizzarini factory in Turin; cars were made from 1969 to 1972. It contained many parts made by the American Motor Corporation, which had earlier taken over the Bizzarini company. Ital Design supplied bodywork for the car, which was mid-engined; it featured a 6383cc AMV V-8 engine developing 345 PS (SAE) at 5100rpm.
The ASA was an Italian automobile created by Bizzarini and manufactured in Milan (in a factory owned by the De Nora Electrochemical Group) from 1962 to 1969. This small, high-efficiency "dream car" featured an OHC 1032cc four-cylinder engine designed by Enzo Ferrari. A racing version of the 1000 GT Coupe had 1092cc and 95bhp; later they featured 105bhp. Only a few of the cars were made, but they had a good deal of success at Italian sporting events. A few larger four- and six-cylinder vehicles were individually built to order; almost all were prototypes. All had fiberglass bodywork.
The Airphibian was an American automobile manufactured in 1946. It was an aluminum-bodied car, built with independent suspension, aircraft-sized wheels, and a six-cylinder 165hp engine. One could easily attach fabric wings and a fuselage to convert the car into a plane.
The Airway was an American minicar with two seats, made by T. P. Hall between 1949 and 1950. It had an all-aluminum body and chassis, and a 10hp Onan engine mounted at the back. Normally it would only use a single fluid-drive speed, plus an emergency low.
The ATS was an Italian automobile manufactured from 1963 to 1964. The car was connected with Count Volpi's "Scuderia Serenissima" Formula One team. Only a few of these V-8 sport coupes with engines up to 245bhp were built. Like the Serenissima which followed, they were never developed as fully as they might have been.
The Albatross was an American sports car venture that was planned in 1939, but that never got off the ground. The plan had been to market an ultra-streamlined four-seat tourer body, built on a standard Mercury chassis, based on a European custom-made car owned by cartoonist Peter Arno. The proposed car was advertised in at least one periodical, but it is doubtful whether or not any cars were actually produced.
The Allstate was an American automobile offered for sale through the Allstate auto accessory chain of Sears Roebuck. It was manufactured from 1952 to 1953 and was billed as "the lowest-priced full-sized sedan on the US market" (though it was similar to the even cheaper Henry J). Cars were offered either with a four-cylinder 68hp engine or an L-head six 80hp engine. Only 2363 were sold in one year before the marque was discontinued.
Alpine was a French manufacturer of racing and sports cars which used rear mounted Renault engines. The company was founded by Jean Rédélé in 1952 in Dieppe. The first serial model, Alpine A106 appeared in 1956. Over time, Alpine was little by little absorbed by Renault. Alpine became a world rally champion in 1973 with its most famous model, the Alpine A110 (aka "Berlinette").
Street models: A-106,
Created by Geoffrey Taylor in 1931, the Alta was an English automobile manufactured until 1954. Initially, Taylor's cars were powered by an 1100cc engine, featuring an aluminum block, wet liners and shaft-driven twin overhead camshafts, which he designed himself. This was mounted on a low-slung chassis frame. In 1935 1496cc and 1961cc engines became available. From these sports cars evolved racers; in 1937 the company introduced an all independent suspension 1½-liter supercharged car. After the war Taylor built a car for the current Formula 1; later in his career he manufactured engines for HWM and Connaught racing cars.
The American Austin was a United States version of the Austin Seven automobile manufactured by the American Austin Car Company from 1930 to 1937. The automobile was designed in the hopes of creating a market for small-car enthusiasts in the United States. The cars had four-cylinder engines and looked something like small Chevrolets with Stutz and Marmon-style horizontal hood louvres. The coupe was billed as a sedan, and sold for $445. At that price, it should have appealed to more buyers than it did. But the Great Depression soon set in, and with it came the appeal of secondhand cars sold at a lower price. Somewhat more than 8000 cars were sold during the company's first year of sales, but sales fell off to the point that production was suspended from 1924 to 1937. That year the car reappeared, redesigned (by Alexis de Sakhnoffski) and rechristened the American Bantam.
American Bantam was the name given cars produced in Butler, Pennsylvania following the failure of the American Austin Car Company. Revived by Roy S. Evans, the new company produced cars from 1937 until it stopped producing passenger cars in 1941. The exterior sheetmetal had been redesigned by Alexis de Sakhnoffski, and the engine was modified so that it was no longer produced under licence from Austin of England. Although very similar in size and mechanically, few parts are interchangeable between Austins and Bantams. Approximately 6,000 Bantams of all types were produced, compared with about 20,000 of the earlier Austins. Despite a wide range of Bantam body styles, ranging from light trucks to a wooden station wagon Americans remained unconvinced of the need for a compact or even second car until the acceptance of the Volkswagen in the early 1960's. It was American Bantam that pioneered the design for the first jeep; these it built for the US Army after discontinuing the manufacture of passenger vehicles.
The Amitron was an American experimental car built in 1967 by American Motors and Gulton Industries. The three-passenger car was powered by two lithium-nickel fluoride bateries, which were capable of powering the car for 150 miles when travelling at 50 mph. The Energy Regeneration Brake system would automatically switch the motors to generators so that the batteries could recharge; this would increase the range of the car.
The Amphicar was a German automobile designed by Hans Trippel and built from 1961 to 1965. The car, manufactured by the Quandi Group at Lübeck and at Berlin-Borsigwalde, was amphibious, featuring an English 1147cc Triumph four-cylinder engine that had 38hp at 4750rpm. It was the first amphibious car made available to the public, and most cars were sold in the United States; total production was around 2800 vehicles before the company folded. The amphicar could achieve up to 70 mph on land and 7mph in the water.
External link: Official Website of the International Amphicar Owners Club
The Andre was a lightweight English two-seater sports car manufactured from 1933 to 1934; only a half-dozen of the automobiles, which used a vee-twin ohv JAP engine of 728cc, were ever built.
Apollo car (1962)
The Apollo was a well-engineered United States sports car/personal automobile manufactured from 1962 to 1964. Featuring Italian handmade bodywork (with a choice between aluminum two-seater convertible or fastback) and a V-6 or V-8 Buick engine, ninety units were produced before it was renamed the Vetta Ventura.
Apollo car (1971)
The Apollo was an English automobile produced for personal use by one Allen Pearce between 1971 and 1972. The Can-Am racer-inspired sports car was a fiberglass vehicle based on the Volkswagen, and was originally intended purely for Pearce's own use; still, it very nearly entered serious production in 1972.
Ardex A small French automobile manufacturer. Between wars, it produced a cyclecar in 1934 on the Morgan lines, propelled by engines up to 500cc. After the World War II, Ardex offered a microcar in 1953.
The Argonaut was an American automobile manufactured from 1959 to 1963. Originally called the "Argonaut State Limousine," and later the "Argonaut Motor Machine," this vehicle was planned as the finest and most luxurious car in the world. The prototype was mounted on a Chrysler chassis. The prices quoted ranged from a low of $26,800 to a high of $36,000; a variety of stainless and other special steels were proposed for the car's manufacture. A 12-cylinder ohc aluminum air-cooled engine developing some 1010bhp was designed for the Argonaut; all cars were to have carried a four-year guarantee. The company claimed, in its catalogue, that two of its models (namely the "Smoke" and the "Raceway") had maximum speeds approaching 240 mph. One Argonaut is known to have come into private hands.
Arista (1956 automobile)
The Arista was a French automobile with a fiberglass body, produced in Paris from 1956 to 1953. They were built with an engine and components from Panhard.
The Ariès was a French automobile manufactured by a company in Asnières (Seine) from 1903 to 1938. The first cars were two- and four-cylinder vehicles built 20 chassis at a time in a large factory. These shaft-drive cars had a rather unusual double rear axle, while the engines were built by Aster. In 1907 the company made a V-4 engine with desmodromic valves; it also made six-cylinder cars at the time. Ariès entered the field of commercial vehicle production in 1910, mainly for the purpose of supplying the French army; the works built mainly military trucks during World War I, as well as Hispano-Suiza aeroengines. After the war the company presented three new models; one was a four-cylinder, a 7 cv ohc 1085cc, while the other two were variations on a 15cv 3-liter. One had a sv Aster unit, while the second featured a sporty ohc engine; some of these last were quite successful in racing events. Ariès stopped production of its 1100cc and 3-liter cars, which had become obsolete, during the financial crisis of the 1930s. They were replaced in the catalogue with new 1500cc and 2-liter models with an odd arrangement of a three-speed gearbox augmented by two-speed gears in the back axle, for a total of six speeds forward. Few were made. At the outbreak of World War II production was suspended; after the war, Ariès attempted a comeback by briefly making moped engines under the name ABG.
The Arkley was an English automobile, manufactured by John Britten Garages workshops at Arkley, Hertfordshire, in the London Borough of Barnet. The first model was a two-seater called Arkley SS, designed by John Britten in 1970 (not to be confused with the famous New Zealandian motorcycle designer, John Britten).
The retro design was inspired by the Morgan. The main purpose was recycling old rusty or damaged Triumph Sprites or MG Midgets. The Arkley SS utilised a BMC A-Series engine launched by Austin in 1951.
The Arkley Midget was bug-eyed and a fibre glass front end was fitted. Transformation did not affect the main structural members. Peter May, who had worked with John Britten Garages, founded Peter May Engineering in Birmingham in 1979 and bought manufacturing rights. Production continued via Peter May Engineering from the mid eighties until the late 1990's, in the form of DIY kits. Since 1971, around 1000 kits have been sold, but no one knows how many exist now.
Some kits were modified such as a one-off called Pink Bathtub, produced in 1990. (see external link)
External links:ArkleyMidget Page
The Arkon was a one-off English automobile manufactured by two determined students, Richard Moon and Neil Morgan, between 1971 and 1972. The 33-inch high car is an exotic-looking GT powered by a rear-mounted Imp engine; the whole is set on a Triumph Spitfire chassis.
The Armstrong-Siddeley was an English automobile manufactured from 1919 (when the marque was formed by a merger between two Coventry-based companies, Armstrong-Whitworth and Siddeley-Deasy) to 1960. The first car produced from this union was a fairly massive machine, a 5-liter 30hp; a smaller 18 appeared in 1922 and a 2-liter 14hp was introduced in 1923. 1928 saw the company's first 15hp six; 1929 saw the introduction of a 12hp vehicle. This was a pioneering year for the marque, during which it first offered the Wilson preselector gearbox as an optional extra; it became standard issue on all cars from 1933. In 1930 the company marketed four models, of 12, 15, 20, and 30hp (this last costing £1450).
The company's rather staid image was endorsed during the 1930s by the introduction of a range of six-cylinder cars with ohv engines, though a four-cylinder 12hp was kept in production until 1936. In 1933 the 5-liter six-cylinder Siddeley Special was announced, featuring a Hiduminum aluminum alloy engine; this model cost £950.
The week that World War II ended in Europe, Armstrong-Siddeley introduced its first post-war models; these were the Lancaster four-door saloon and the Hurricane drophead coupe. The names of these models echoed the names of aircraft produced by the Hawker Siddeley Group (the name adopted by the company in 1935) during the war. These cars were powered by 2-liter six-cylinder engines, increased to 2.3-liter engines in 1949. From 1953 the company produced the Sapphire, with a six-cylinder engine of 3435cc; in 1956 the number of models was increased with the 234 (a 2.3-liter four) and the 236 (with the older 2.3 six-cylinder engine). The last model produced by Armstrong-Siddeley was 1958's Star Sapphire, with a 4-liter engine and automatic transmission. In 1959 Bristol Aero Engines merged with Hawker Siddeley, forming Bristol Siddeley. The Armstrong-Siddeley was a casualty of the merger; the last car left the Coventry factory in 1960.
The Arnolt was an American automobile manufactured by S. H. Arnolt Inc. of Chicago from 1953 to 1964. The car combined an MG chassis and engine with Italian Bertone bodywork of aluminum and steel to produce four-passenger convertibles and coupes. Arnolt Bristols were later produced using British Bristol 404 chassis and six-cylinder 130hp engines.
Manufactured by the American Special Automotive Research and Design Organization of Bergen, New Jersey between 1959 and 1960, the Asardo was an American sport coupe which featured an Alfa Romeo four-cylinder engine and four-speed gearbox. The automobile's fiberglass body was mounted on a lightweight tubular space frame.
The Ascort was an Australian automobile manufactured from 1958 to 1960. Basically a modified VW Beetle, the four-seater touring coupe featured a roomy, double-skinned body made out of fiberglass; it was remarkably well conceived and appointed. The 1·2-liter Beetle engine was modified using an Okrasa kit to produce 54bhp. The vehicle's total weight was 33% less than that of a standard sedan, which made for brisk acceleration. More than a dozen cars were built before the project collapsed.
The Ashley was an English automobile manufactured from 1954 to 1962. Originally the company built sports bodies for the Austin Seven (over 500 during the 1950s). Ford-powered Ashleys followed; at first these used proprietary chassis, later replaced with their own. The Sportiva was the last car produced by the company; their last commercial projects were special hoods and hardtops for Sprites.
Astra (1956 automobile)
The Astra was an English automobile; claiming to be the smallest and cheapest four-wheeler on the British market, the car was manufactured from 1956 to 1959. Featuring a rear-mounted 322cc engine and all-round independent suspension, the Astra was built by British Anzani of Hampton Hill, Middlesex.
The Astro-Gnome was a rather bizarre American automobile manufactured in 1956 by the Richard Arbib Co. of New York. Described as looking "like something out of a Flash Gordon film", the car had fluted aluminum side panels that had been anodized in different blending colors. It had a bubble canopy that gave unobstructed vision all around; this covered the passengers, but could be raised to allow walk-in entry and exit. Only one prototype was constructed.
Atalanta (1937 automobile)
The Atalanta was an English automobile manufactured from 1937 until 1939. The sports car used Albert Gough's somewhat erratic 1½- and 2-liter engines, which had been previously fitted to some Frazer Nashes. The 4·3 liter V-12 Lincoln-Zephyr option proved to be more popular. Richard Gaylard Shattock revived the name after the Second World War with the RGS Atalanta, offering complete cars with fiberglass bodywork or parts kits until 1958.
The Atla was a French automobile manufactured from 1957 to 1959. The small car used a small Renault 4cv engine and featured a fiberglass body. The car was made by Jacques Durand (later of CG and Jide); it boasted "gull-wing" doors.
Auburn Automobile Company
Auburn was a brand name of United States automobiles from 1900 through 1937. It grew out of the Eckhart Carriage Company, founded in Auburn, Indiana in 1875. The enterprise was modestly successful until materials shortages during World War I forced the plant to close. The 1904 Auburn was a touring car model. Equipped with a tonneau, it could seat 2 or 4 passengers and sold for US$1000.
Aurora (1957 automobile)
The Aurora was an American automobile manufactured by Father Alfred A. Juliano, a Catholic priest, from 1957 to 1958. The safety-inspired vehicle was available with a Chrysler, Cadillac, or Lincoln engine; each car was built on a Buick chassis.
Autobianchi was an Italian automobile manufacturer, it was created jointly by Bianchi, Pirelli and Fiat in 1957.
The most famous Autobianchi models include the A112, released in 1969, a small hatchback very popular in Italy for racing, and ended production in 1986, as well as the Y10, which was the first car to use Fiat's new FIRE (Fully Integrated Robotised Engine). Autobianchi was bought by the Fiat group and integrated into Lancia, until the name had stopped usage when the Y10 ended production.
Borgward was a German automobile manufacturer founded by Carl F. W. Borgward (November 10, 1890 - July 28, 1963). The first "automobile" Carl Borgward designed was the Blitzkarre, a sort of three-wheeled motorcycle with only two horsepower (1.5 kW). In 1929 he became the director of Hansa Lloyd AG and lead the development of the Hansa Konsul. In February 1937 came the new Hansa Borgward 2000 and in 1939 the name was shortened to Borgward 2000. The 2000 model was followed by the Borgward 2300 that remained in production until 1942. After WW2 the company presented the Borgward Hansa 1500, which was followed by the Borgward Isabella starting in 1954. The Isabella became the most popular model and remained in production for the life of the company. In 1959 the Borgward P100 was introduced, with its impressive hydraulic suspension. In 1961 the company went into bankruptcy and in 1963 all manufacturing equipment for the Borgward Isabella and P100 was sold to Mexico where production was continued until 1970.
External links: http://dmoz.org/Recreation/Autos/Makes_and_Models/Borgward/
Australian Borgward Club - Includes a history of the make, club details, tips, news, and photo gallery.
Borgward in South Africa - Contains details of shows and events, a picture Gallery and list of clubs.
1960 Borgward Isabella Kombi - Profile of the Borgward Isabella, including specifications and a listing of its more unusual features, such as the 6-volt electrical system.
Borgward Isabella Oldtimer - Contains history and photographs.
Borgward Owners Club - Features the option for owners and enthusists to swap ideas and ask questions. Also includes a newsletter, technical tips, reports, and photo gallery.
Borgward Owners Elite - Contains a forum and an area to swap or trade spare parts.
Portal for Borgward Fans - Contains the history of Carl F. W. Borgward, the factory, and the models. Also features restoration details and forum.
The United Kingdom Borgward Drivers Club - Contains a history of the make, committee members, events and photo gallery.
The Ford Galaxie was a model of automobile built in the USA by the Ford Motor Company for model years 1959 through 1973, inclusive. As often is the case with American cars, the model names shifted around from year to year, but the Galaxie was always on that year's Ford full-size platform. Some Galaxies were high-performance, racing specification machines, a larger forebear to the muscle car era. Others were plain, family sedans. The Galaxie should not be mistaken for the Ford Galaxy, a modern-era minivan or people-mover.
1955 Ford Fairlane Crown Victoria
1957 Ford Fairlane
1966 Ford Fairlane GTA
1997 Ford Fairlane Ghia
The Ford Fairlane was an automobile model sold between 1955 and 1969 by the Ford Motor Company in North America. The name was taken from Henry Ford's estate, Fair Lane, near Dearborn, Michigan. Over time, the name referred to a number of different cars in different classes; the Fairlane was a full-size car during the 1950s but became a mid-size car in the 1960s. The Fairlane lives on to this day in Australia, manufactured by Ford Motor Company as a large luxury sedan. The Australian models began with the ZA line in 1967, based on a long-wheelbase version of the domestically produced Ford Falcon. A more upmarket version of the Australian Fairlane is called the Ford LTD.
Copyright © JustCars.ca http://www.justcars.ca The Classic Cars & Vintage Automobile Resource